Monday, April 29, 2013

definitions & labels

what does "disabled" mean? who is disabled? what are the characteristics of a chronic illness? what does it mean to have an invisible illness? putting a label on things can be problematic in the sense that it can lump people into groups and can exclude others with varying experiences, but it essential in defining these things to lay the groundwork of understanding these concepts.
________________________________________________________________________

disabled   adjective
: incapacitated by illness or injury, also : physically or mentally impaired in a way that substantially limits activity especially in relation to employment or education (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)

______________________________________________________________________________________

According to the World Health Organization chronic illnesses & diseases are:

"...diseases of long duration and generally slow progression. Chronic diseases, such as heart disease, stroke, cancer, chronic respiratory diseases and diabetes, are by far the leading cause of mortality in the world, representing 63% of all deaths. Out of the 36 million people who died from chronic disease in 2008, nine million were under 60 and ninety per cent of these premature deaths occurred in low- and middle-income countries."   WHO | Chronic diseases 
________________________________________________________________________

Social Work Today describes invisible illness...
"The term invisible illness refers to any medical condition that is not outwardly visible to others, even healthcare professionals. Invisible illnesses encompass a broad range of conditions, including heart disease, diabetes, dementia, psychiatric illness, autoimmune disorders, and even cancer.

While individuals with visible illnesses—those requiring canes or wheelchairs or causing physical manifestations ... those with invisible illnesses, such support [and understanding] may not be as forthcoming [as those with visible illnesses]. And for those with invisible illnesses that remain controversial in the medical community and public eye, support may not come at all.  
 Invisible Illness - What You Can't See Does Hurt Her 
_______________________________________________________________________

check out this video from YouTube... definitions are good for understanding, but this clip shows more about what its like to be someone with an invisible illness or a chronic disability than words on a page can...

2 comments:

  1. I'm 15 years old. I was born with HIV my mother passed away because of the HIV infection And I regret why i never met Dr Itua he could have cured my mum for me because as a single mother it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr itua healing words online about how he cure different disease in different races diseases like HIV/Aids Herpes,Parkison,Asthma,Copd,Epilepsy,Shingles,Cold Sore,Infertility, Chronic Fatigues Syndrome,Fibromyalgia,Love Spell,Prostate Cancer,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Blood Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Love Spell,Weak Erection,Breast Enlargment,Penis Enlargment,Hpv,Diabetes Hepatitis even Cancer I was so excited but frighten at same time because I haven't come across such thing article online then I contacted Dr Itua on Mail drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ . I also chat with him on what's app +2348149277967 he tells me how it works then I tell him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I receive my herbal medicine within 4/5 working days he gave me guild lines to follow and here am I living healthy again can imagine how god use men to manifest his works am I writing in all articles online to spread the god work of Dr Itua Herbal Medicine,He's a Great Man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello everyone!! I'm Marilyn Here in the States and I'm here to talk about what Dr. James did for me. I have been suffering from (GENITAL HERPES VIRUS) disease for the past 4 years and had constant pain and itching, especially in my private part. During the first year. This disease started circulating all over my body and  I have used Oregano oil, Coconut oil, Acyclovir, Val acyclovir, Acyclovir, and some other products and it really helped during my outbreaks but I totally got cured! From my HSV with a strong and active herbal medicine ordered from  Dr. James herbal mix and it completely fought the virus from my nervous system, and I was tested negative after 15 days of using  Dr. James herbal mix medicine. I'm here to let you all know that the herpes virus has a complete cure, I got rid of mine with the help of Dr. James herbal medicine.  I came across a testimony of Tasha, on the internet testifying about Dr. James, on how he cured Her of 7 years HSV 2. And she also gave the email address of  the great Dr. James  (drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com...]..., advising anybody to contact him for help on any kind of diseases that he would be of help with, so I emailed him telling him about me (HSV 2) he told me not to worry that I'm going to be cured!! Well, I never doubted him. I have faith he can cure me too, Dr. James prepared and sent me his herbal mix medicine made of roots and herbs which I took. In the first one week, I started experiencing changes all over me, after 15 days I drank his herbal mix medicine, I was totally cured. No more inching, pain on me anymore as Dr. James assured me. After some time I went to my doctor to do another test. The result came out negative. So friends my advice is if you have such disease or know anyone who suffers from it or any other disease like Alzheimer's Disease, Warts, Moles, Bipolar disorder, Shingles, HPV, HIV/AIDS, ALS, HBP, CANCER, NEPHROTIC SYNDROME HIV / AIDS, herpes cancer, Ovarian Cancer, Pancreatic cancers, bladder cancer, bladder cancer, prostate cancer, Glaucoma., Cataracts, Macular degeneration, Cardiovascular disease, Autism, Lung disease. Enlarged prostate, Osteoporosis. Alzheimer's disease, psoriasis, Tach Diseases, Lupus, Backache, dementia. Kidney cancer, lung cancer, skin cancer, skin cancer and skin cancer. Testicular Cancer, LEUKEMIA, VIRUSES, HEPATITIS, INFERTILITY., etc. you can contact  the great  one  directly on his........@ drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com  He is a good man, and He will help you.  

    ReplyDelete